Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Friday, January 18, 2008


Doesn't he look so relaxed in this picture? They keep him in this Snugli and try to keep his legs and arms folded up like he's still in the womb. But he does not like to be confined! Somehow, he always manages to get his extremeties out, and he totally looks like he's just chillin'!
Today when I walked into the NICU, there were several people standing around Jase's isolette, all in sterile gowns. When I walked over I could see he was covered in a sterile drape, with a small opening in it. Of course, I kind of freaked out! It turns out they were putting a PICC line in his scalp. It is to replace the IV in his umbilical cord, as the stump is getting ready to fall off. The doctor had called Jay to get a consent, but he had misunderstood, and didn't realize it would be in his head! Obviously he still would have given consent, as that's what they needed to do to keep him healthy, but the idea of it kind of traumatized me! They assured me that it doesn't really bother the babies; they don't even sedate them for it, which they do if a procedure is going to be painful. So basically it looks much worse than it actually is.

No comments: